Wednesday, March 28, 2012

why "On a Light Stand"?

Well its almost been 2 years since I launched my blog as "on a lightstand" and you can read that short intro here. It has been amazing to see God bring this verse to light in my life in so many ways over the last two years.
I thought I would revisit how I got here...

Matt 5:14-16 message translation
You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

God brought me to this verse as I prayed for a life verse, direction, focus and purpose. It was as if I had found myself, my passions, and my reason for existence when I read it. Although I had no idea how the story would unfold, I clung to it.

This is not because I, myself, am something extraordinary or special that should be put out for all to see, but if the savior of the world really redeemed my broken soul and bought my life at a high price, I am honored to bear witness to that with my life.

God answered several things with this verse, it gave us purpose for our home, it gave us direction with our finances, it empowered us to live a bold, un-safe life, and little did we know, it would call us to open up our lives and home to two sweet new ones to bring out the God-colors in our family.

Once we answered God's prompting to adopt, one big fear I had boiled down to "being on that light stand".  I knew we would be the target of stares, second looks, rude comments, and people not understanding why there are two sweet brown faces amongst four not so brown ones.  But God brought me right out of fear and slapped me with this verse again.  I'm not here to look the same as everyone else, I am not here to shut myself in my home with my 2.4 kids and 2 car garage.  I am not here to hold "things" with a tight fist.  I am not here to keep quiet about what Jesus has done in my life.  That is my default mode, but it is NOT what I have been redeemed for.

Accepting Christ, going to Auburn where I knew no one, getting married, having 2 kids, moving to NC have all stretched me.  It has all taught me something about the Lord, the depravity of myself, and the dependence on God that I should have.  But nothing like even just starting to road to adoption has challenged me more, grown me more, stripped me of more selfishness, or required ultimate obedience and reliance on my Father.

Finding my purpose in life has been a sweet journey, one that is still not finished.  I know there have been bumps along the way and there are many more to come, probably bigger than any I've had before.  But even in trial, I know I am here to point people to him. And although my little lamp is usually dim, or sometimes just even flickering, I pray that God uses our lives to invite people to know him like never before, to step out like never before, and to leave behind the "christian version" of the American dream that so many in the church have settled into.

So join me as I continue my journey, On a Light Stand, seeking to shine right back at the one who has called me, saved me, and adopted me.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Love it! Keep burning... God is using it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the new look. always love your writing. keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete