Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Brave boy




He did it! Now for those of you who don't know my kids, a little description. Reese is my fearless, take on the world child, speaks to anyone and thinks their her best friend, loves new situations, big rollercoasters and jumping from high places.
Wheeler is my analyzer, he is timid in new situations, takes a little while to warm up, is soft and kind (most of the time) and likes to observe a lot (unless their is a ball in the mix). I blame part of it on his 27 trips to the doctor and ENT for 27 ear infections in 26 months, 2 surgeries and lots of adults holding him down most visits to dig wax out of his ears while he screamed and looked at me like why in the world am I letting this go on. Needless to say, that is what i attribute to his hesitation around adults...rooted in reason or not...i am not sure. 
Anyway, be it church or school, wheeler hasn't always done real well with the drop off.  Even at school last year where he went 3 days a week, if he caught sight of me leaving he would cry and run towards me. We had many talks, bribes, discipline, love and hugs about it. Needless to say, gearing up for a new school, new location, no kids he even recognized... i had my doubts. 
For the last 3 weeks of him crying as we went to his room at church, i was reminded of this verse and prayed it over him. Preparing for school, i told it to him. 
Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong. Take courage. Don't be intimidated. Don't give them a second thought because God, your God, is striding ahead of you. He's right there with you. He won't let you down; he won't leave you."
Wheeler did awesome. He walked right in that class, put his lunch in his cubby and didn't take a second look back. 
Miracle.
Small miracle it may seem, but big for Wheeler. I am so proud of the man he is becoming.  When he has courage in his heart, i know he will be a man God will use. He is so kind and thoughtful. He has good things to say, he just sometimes needs that push of boldness to know it is worth saying. 
I hope my little guy remembers this verse for many years to come! Happy first day of school Bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment