Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tying my story together...

WOW! Ok so I was looking for an old Bible I had gone through in 2002 and 2003. I had a plan to read the whole new testament and I can't remember if I finished or not, but anyway. I found it finally and was flipping through it. The thing was covered in underlines and notes jotted down. Keep in mind, 2002 I was a sophomore in college, had just started dating my future beloved, and had totally different plans for my life then. I think they included my Ph D, not getting married for a while, definitely no kids til I was 30, etc. I laughed out loud then promptly teared up as I turned to the page of John 14.

Seriously GOD? I dont even remember writing this. I drew a line to the verse," ask whatever you wish for and it will be given to you, this is my father's glory" to the word AFRICA. Beside that verse is the one of "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you. Underlined. Then a little below it, "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love.......and your joy will be complete." Sure enough, God, sure enough. MAN!
I just laughed as I thought about my life. I used to think of it in separate compartments. Growing up, my inner city middle school experience, High school, college, relationship with John, working at Cafe 1040, Chick-fil-A, being and becoming a mother. My desires in each area I also saw as compartmentalized. Now, I watch as the great author ties it all together in a beautiful and messy story. Desires from childhood, now realized and living out. Lessons from being a minority in my middle school, now making sense, my unfounded desire to go to, live in, raise a child from Africa, now making total sense. Understanding God's heart for the lost as I traveled to a country closed to the gospel, now making sense. So I just laughed and cried as I saw the word AFRICA on the page of my Bible from 10 years ago. I was 18 years old. Was I asking for something regarding Africa then? I don't know. But apparently, somewhere in my heart, the Holy spirit helped write my story and my desires and now he is giving it to me for my Father's glory. Any my joy IS and WILL be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment